In Conversation with Arjun Rampal

“I can honestly say that I’ve never been bored with acting or modelling. Anxious, nervous, sad, frightened, yes. But never bored, because I never know what’s going to happen next!”


For a man who only spent 15 days at acting school, Arjun Rampal has sure made his mark in the Indian film industry. But it’s not just his incredible good looks and his professionalism that makes him so bloody sexy!


Arjun, or AR as he is sometimes known, was born on November 26th 1972 in Jabalpur, India, to proud parents, Amarjeet and Gwen. Arjun was initially keen to make an international career and became a model in 1994. However, once he was abroad, he realised that the modelling scene wasn’t the best to go into as the most popular male models were all between the ages of 17 to 21 and according to him, it would have taken him at least a few years to make it big.


He began shooting for an ad in Monte Carlo when he met Ashok Mehta who expressed his desire to get Arjun to work for him. Arjun had read the script almost eight times before he decided to give it a shot. Although Arjun’s movie, Pyaar Ishq Aur Mohabbat, didn’t do well in the box office, his acting was amazing and he has left a huge impact on the audience even after the movie didn’t do well and that’s what’s so remarkable about him.


I went to interview Arjun on the set of his new movie. Interviewing him was one of the hardest and easiest things in the entire universe. You would wait and wait outside the interview room for ages, wishing that he would just hurry up and finish acting and then you’re pushed inside a small room to wait a few more seconds for him.

You hurriedly make sure that you have everything, that there isn’t a single hair out of place and that you haven’t got any lipstick on your teeth. Slowly and carefully, hoping that you won’t crease the trousers that you spent hours ironing that morning, you sit down, butterflies in the pit of your stomach. And then, he walks into the room with such presence, wearing jeans and a long sleeved blue t-shirt. He shakes your hand with the hugest smile on his face, and you quickly sit down, wishing that you’re knees would stop shaking.


You ask your first question, your voice shaking and nerves taking over…he answers calmly with that gorgeous smile on his face, cracks a joke at the same time. You laugh! And then, the butterflies go and the nerves disappear. You’re actually having fun interviewing him and before you know it the hour that you’ve booked with him flies by and soon it’s time for you to be kicked out so that he can get back to the filming.


If only it was real but dreaming isn’t reality. Bummer huh!


You’ve really made an impact on Indian Cinema, and especially on teenage girls all over the world. (Arjun laughs) I’ve been told to tell you that you’ve got “heavenly looks…just beautiful”. What would you tell teenage girls that say this? That’s one of the funniest things I’ve heard all day! Thanks but that’s got to do with God and nothing to do with me! (he laughs again). As for me making an impact on Indian Cinema, I just hope that it lasts.


What inspires you the most? I guess I would have to say life. That and when other people have faith in me, mostly that spurs me on.


You say that you are more spiritual than religious. What does God mean to you? God is a friend – someone that I can always ask for help.


As our readers know, you’re happily married to Indian Super Model, Mehr Jesia. What does marriage mean to you? It’s a rule made by society. (seeing my face) No, seriously, it’s something sacred and it’s incredible security you’ve found your companion for a lifetime. It’s all based on honestly, I’d say.


A lot of people would describe you as good-looking with awesome professionalism. How would you describe yourself and state of mind? How would I . describe myself? Erm…cool, casual and comfortable. As for my state of mind, I would say that I am peaceful. I’m comfortable with myself and the people around me.


Tell us three unknown facts about yourself. Three unknown facts. Alright, I’m disciplined, I’m really very honest, and I’m not lying about that! (he laughs) and I’m very hard working.


Are you a good liar? I’m a very bad liar – one of the worst!

What do you think is the cutest thing about you? I guess it would be my laugh.


What’s the best place to be? And what would your best holiday destination be? The best place to be would be home but for my perfect holiday destination, I would go anywhere! New York, Paris, anywhere.


What was your reaction when you first saw yourself on screen? I was so shocked. I couldn’t believe I was there and it was finally happening after 5 years of waiting.


Who would you love to have lunch with? Jim Morrison and not lunch, an all night party for that whole sex, drugs, rock and roll thing. But one night only…


What is your wardrobe essential? My underwear! (he laughs)


You only went to acting school for 15 days! Any comments on that? I went basically to get rid of my inhibitions. Those 15 days really helped me loosen up and be totally relaxed in front of the camera because as a model you tend to be very stiff and preoccupied with angles.


What are you planning for the future? Well at the moment, I’m undergoing training in Indian classical vocals, basically for voice modulation. I’m also taking Urdu lessons to get my dictation right, and lessons in Hindi filming. For the future, I just want to be retired!


And final question, do you think that Angels exist? (laughs) Defiantly. If anyone has any doubts, then they should meet me!


After the interview, we also got Arjun to answer questions from fans who had e-mailed in.


Neil says: Hi Arjun, you are a slick action hero.
(he laughs) I’d rather be called a slick actor, but thanks.


Rayees_Arjun writes: Arjun, can I get you on the phone one day? Are you buying me Rayees?


Malaysian says: Arjun, my mother wants to dance with you. When are you next in Kuala Lumpur? I’ll be in Kuala for the Gifa awards to launch “I see you” music. Bring your mum and we’ll dance there.


Miss SITAPHAL states: I’m in love with you Arjun. (Arjun blushes and laughs a bit) I love you too.


SJ asks: Arjun, how was working with Shah Rukh Khan on Don? Well, Shah Rukh is a rockstar, a totally wonderful human being.


Raj Shergil asks: What character have you like playing the most in your career so far? And why? Well, I really liked playing the character of Shekhar in Ek Ajnabee and Jasjit in Don. The reason being that they’re both real as well as totally unreal.

Cooldude wants to know: With which heroin are you comfortable in working with? (laughs) The one who takes the least amount of time in make up.


Dushu says: Hey Arjun, I like your dimple when you smile. It’s really looking great. (Arjun smiles and shows off his dimples) Thanks. I’ll try to smile more often then.


Arjint writes: Arjun, are you still smoking or have you given up? You look so cool when you do. Sorry, I know it’s not good for your health. I’m still trying to quit but thanks for saying that I look cool!

No comments: